Ok. Carmelizing sugar on top of steel cut oats might take away from the healthy reasons you might be eating these whole grains, but it’s definitely one of the most delicious ways to eat this dish. It’s almost like dessert. I’m craving a bowl right now!
Step 1: Make these easy overnight steel cut oats.
Step 2: Special equipment,you’re going to need a blowtorch or a brulee torch, found on amazon or your local cooking supply store like Sur La Table.
Step 3: Get to the carmelization!
You’ll just need take a little sugar, and apply heat directly to the sugar until it starts to bubble. Here’s a video to show you!
Anytime I know I’m going out of town, I try to make sure that all of the perishable foods in my fridge find their way into delicious dishes. As I plan for an upcoming trip, I investigated what I might have in my fridge that needed to get used up.
In my fridge I found some leftover heavy cream and skim milk. And in my cupboard I found a little brown sugar, vanilla, and a bag of steel cut oatmeal buried in the waaaaay back that I had forgotten about. The idea machine starting churning and I instantly knew what I would make.
Most people are familiar with Instant or Quick Rolled Oats. These are oats that have been cooked, dried, and rolled very thin. They are often called “rolled oats” for that reason. Because these types of oats are thin, they only require hot water and a few minutes to soften enough for consumption. So, they are nearly “instant”.
Steel Cut Oats are a whole other animal. These oats are cut coarsely into small pieces, rather than steamed and rolled thin. The thing I most love about steel cut oats is that they retain their coarse and chewy texture even after cooking and reheating.
I think one of the reasons so much of us go to rolled oats versus steel cut oats is that we can have a whole grain breakfast in under 4 minutes with the rolled stuff. Unlike rolled oats, steel cut oats can take anywhere from 20-30 minutes to cook. And, in addition to it taking 5x more time to cook, you have to stir the oats while they cook, meaning you’re actively engaged in the cooking of steel cut oats. I think this active cooking time might be one of the reasons most of the people I know don’t cook steel cut oats, and maybe, just maybe, this is why I’ve had the same bag of steel cut oats in the back of my cupboard for longer than I can recall.
Given I love steel cut oats, but don’t always have the 30 minutes in the morning to prepare them, this recipe lets you enjoy a delicious food without the time or fuss. 3 minutes to prepare, and you let it cook overnight, unbothered, and boom! Individual bowls of steel cut oatmeal hot and ready for breakfast as soon as you get out of bed. And if you have a family, this recipe could be your best friend.
Special Equipment Needed:
Six 5-6 ounce or small heatproof bowls
½ cup heavy cream
1 cup skim milk
2 1/2 cups purified water
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp kosher salt
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup steel cut oats
1. In a bowl, combine the cream, milk, water, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla extract.
3. In the bottom of each ramekin, add 2 tablespoons steel cut oats.
5. Slowly add water to the base of your slow cooker, being sure not to get any water into the ramekins. The amount of water will vary by the size of your slow-cookers, but you basically want the ramekins sitting in at least 3 inches of water. (For most slow cookers, water will come up to the middle of your bottom ramekin.)
Tomorrow I’ll show a video that can help you turn this breakfast into a decadent one with the help of a little sugar and a blowtorch.
Flirty Get together Clothes For Practically Any Event
Hosting a pajama social gathering for preteens or youngsters is a great way to ask all their buddies from school and the neighborhood for some fun. Although styles and colors of promchanges every year, one thing remains the same: distinctive promenade attire make you stand out in the crowds. There are lots of lace material and embellishments on 2015 runway http://www.ohhmylove.com/prom-dresses.html so we are pretty certain that lace/lace accented attire are still fashionable for promenade appears 2015. In the event you’re caught and nonetheless trying to find the proper daring, shade wedding gown, attempt taking a look at mid- to high-finish prom costume designer traces. Truly there is a vast distinction between night wedding dresses and daytime wedding dresses, both can’t be similar. For this coming promenade season 2011, more than 30% of all promenade dresses are above knew length.
The White Dress Bridal present quality products for a marriage gowns and Promenade Dress shops in fort lauderdale that should be memorable, private, and one of the bride’s most enjoyable expertise. As most of you’ll remember that Fabrawn has particular class for party wear attire. Brief gowns are just like cocktail clothes and have a slightly more informal enchantment than a long straight gown or a ballroom robe. Not like frequent assumption, clothes with sleeves aren’t limited for the part of plus measurement clothing.
A peace and love social gathering can be a success with teenagers who’re fascinated with the nineteen sixties. Traditionally made with silk, these attire mold to the skin, hugging the figure tightly for a timelessly alluring look. Bodice attire are tailored from conventional corsets, enhancing the waist whereas supporting the bust. Uncover new planned arrival promenade attire who go in for implausible harmony whereas utilizing the already well-identified materials which includes heavy shine, glitter dress, chiffon and silk that meets on the top of the desire to own comfort put on for all correct events. Varied wedding robes with sleeves are easily accessible at many bridal fashion stores.
Removable clothes are designed in homecoming attire, prom dresses , and big day dresses. At that point two pieces clothes would be a good determination as that may be blended and matched suitably relying upon the person dimension and state of every orderly, paying little respect to their age. You will have your grandmother’s wedding ceremony robe handed all the way down to you or you could select to get a marriage robe designed for yourself. You by no means need to rent evening dresses shop a DJ for traditional or Destin Seaside wedding ceremony with out first seeing them perform.
Women start planning and planning the promenade evening several weeks previous to because it is a special occasion in most woman’s existence. They do have photographs of brides of all shapes with all kinds of dresses so you may have a better thought of what would suit your form. One of the girls would be the model, whereas the other girls will use the rolls to drape the prom costume on her. The invitation tells A Black Tie Party” which implies we must wear formal dresses. In 1840, Queen Victoria wore a white gown to her marriage ceremony in an effort to exhibit her lace, establishing a brand new tradition of white wedding gowns that brides would follow world wide.
Every Christmas Eve, a group of volunteers for Operation Santa North Hollywood get together to deliver christmas wishes to children in the Valley communities. Some families opt to pick up their gifts and take a photo with Santa and his elves.
After speaking with many family members over the years, we learned that food insecurity is an issue our families face in addition to the inability to buy gifts for their children.
2014 will be the second Christmas Eve where we will be providing food and gifts to our network of families. And, we still need your help!
Three Ways To Help
(1) You can donate money by clicking this link. Chrysta will use 100% of the funds to purchase ingredients to prepare the Christmas eve meal.
(if you need the donation to be tax deductible, contact Chrysta for the link to donate through Los Angeles Valley College, our fiscal sponsor)
(2) You can also donate any of the following food items and get them to Chrysta by Tuesday December 23th.
(3) You can also volunteer with me on Wednesday December 24th between 8am-1:30pm. The Volunteer location is Los Angeles Valley College. Address will be provided to volunteers.
As an on-site volunteer, you can come for any time commitment you'd like. You will be doing tasks, such as:
On this week's episode of Dishing on Movies, we make the perfect dish to get you through your next hangover
4 medium sized potatoes (sweet potatoes or white potatoes)
Cooled bacon-wrapped turkey meatloaf (recipe below)
1 diced onion
1 diced bell pepper (red, yellow, or orange)
4 eggs, cooked over easy.
1. Dice Potatoes. Place diced potatoes into a bowl of cold water until all potatoes are diced. This prevents browning.
2. Boil Potatoes: place potatoes in a pot of boiling water and cook until al dente.
3. Dry Potatoes: pat potatoes dry with a towel.
4. Saute Veggies: Add diced onion, pepper, into a hot pan with oil. Cook for 1-2 minutes until softened.
5. Brown Potatoes: Place a thin layer of potatoes into a well-oiled cast iron skillet. Cook for 5 minutes on this side, then flip over to get brown crust. Add more oil if required.
6. Assemble: Place potato hash on a plate, then the slice of bacon-wrapped meatloaf, and finished with a fried egg. Garnish with chives if you like.
Recipe for Bacon-wrapped Turkey Meatloaf
20-ounce lean turkey
½ cup diced onion
½ cup diced colored bell pepper (yellow, red, or orange)
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tbsp olive oil
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¾ teaspoon salt, if desired
6 strips of bacon
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Over medium heat, with 1 teaspoon of olive oil, sauté the onion and bell peppers for 2 minutes, or until softened. Add the garlic and cook another two minutes. Set aside to cool.
3. In a large bowl, add the cooled vegetables, egg, remaining olive oil, salt and pepper, into the turkey. Mix until well combined.
4. Line a loaf pan with strips of bacon so bacon strips “hang over” the side of the pan.
5. Fill the bacon-lined loaf pan with the meat mixture, and then fold the bacon over the top of the turkey meat mixture.
6. Bake for 40 hour, pull from oven and carefully drain off the fat. Return to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes more, or until the internal temperature is 155-degrees F, and the bacon is done.
7. Remove from the oven to a cutting board and let cool for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
*This meatloaf recipe doesn’t contain breadcrumbs like most recipes because we decided to cut those calories out and to have a denser meatloaf to compliment to potato hash.
This week, we make a delicious Monkey Bread, which is a simple baked treat that uses canned biscuits, pecans, cinnamon, and brown sugar to make a caramel-y gooey delicious treat perfect for your next brunch. We top if off with brûléed bananas that just sent this treat over the top!
Learn how to make below!
3 cans Buttermilk Biscuits (pillsbury)
1 cup Sugar
2 tsp Cinnamon
2 sticks Butter
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Open cans of biscuits and cut each biscuit into quarters.
3. In a ziplock bag, combine the white sugar with cinnamon.
4. Put biscuit quarters into the cinnamon-sugar mix. Seal bag and shake to coat each piece of dough.
5. Spray bundt pan with a baking spray with flour. Place a layer of dough nuggets in the bottom, then sprinkle with chopped pecans. Continue this layering until the dough is used up.
6. In a small sauce pan over medium heat, melt 2 sticks of butter with ½ cup of brown sugar. Cook butter/sugar mixture until combined into a sauce.
7. Pour sugar mixture over the biscuits.
8. Bake for about 30-40 minutes until the top is browned.
9. Remove from oven and let cool 10-15 minutes before inverting on a plate.
Serve alone or topped with brûléed bananas*
To make bruleed bananas: slide bananas into rounds, then sprinkle with granulated white sugar. Then brûlée, or melt the sugar until is turns brown and bubbly. Wait a moment before eating, allowing the sugar to cool and form a crackly crust.
I was one of the few girls that I know who watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as a kid. One things those Turtle Dudes loves more than April or Master Shredder was Pizza. So, we decided to make a no-rise pizza crust so that you can learn how to make a pizza faster than delivery! Customized with #TMNT toppings, this pizza was as fun to make as it was to eat!
We're always looking for an easy dinner, and we're often looking for a new way to jazz up chicken. This new recipe for Cirtus Marinated Chicken Thighs is that new jazzy technique.
6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
1/4 cup of oil
1/2 cup of soy sauce
Juice and zest of 1 orange
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
Juice and zest of 1 lime
4 grated cloves of garlic (use jarred if you want)
1 small shallot, minced.
1 scallion, sliced on the bias
1. Add oil, soy sauce, garlic, and all citrus juice and zest into a ziplock bag and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Remove chicken from marinade and place on foil-lined sheet pan. Reserve marinade.
3. Place in pre-heated 400 degree oven and bake for about 15 minutes, then under the broiler (500 degrees) for 3 mins. (Cook times mar vary: Cook chicken until internal temp is 160 and juice run clear)
4. Pour the remaining marinade (in the ziplock Bag) and shallot into a small pot and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes, then reduce to medium heat and cook another 6 minutes until thickened and reduced. This high heat cooking will enable you to use the marinade as a sauce–boiling it raised the temp. to above 160 degrees since raw chicken was present in the marinade pre-cooking.
Remove chicken from oven, place chicken on a platter, pour sauce over chicken, and garnish with sliced scallion. Delicious!!
Want an easy, bread-less, not-too-sweet dessert? What about a dessert that can be made 2 days in advance? Well, this, my friends, may be it!