Chrysta 10 min. 15 min.
Whether you make these cupcakes with green “coconut grass”, or keep it simple with pure white coconut topping, this recipe is a crowd-pleaser.
Coconut Curd Recipe:
1. In a mixer, combine the butter and sugar.
2. Add the 4 egg yolks and 2 egg whites into the sugar mixture.
3. Add canned coconut milk to the sugar mixture.
4. Mixture will look curdled, but it will smooth out as it cooks.
5. In a double boiler, whisk mixture over low heat until it looks smooth. (as butter melts, the curdled look starts to go away.).
6. Increase heat to medium and cook custard mixture, stirring constantly under the mixture thickens, about 7 minutes.
7. Dip the back of a wooden spoon into the curd. Using your finger, draw a “line” in the back of the spoon. When the line remains, the curd is done. This is called the “Line Test”. You can also use a thermometer: the curd should be cooked to 170 degrees.
8. Stir in coconut extract.
9. Pour curd into a bowl, place plastic wrap on the surface of the curd so that it can cool. The curd will thicken as it cools. Cool about 2 hours before using.
11.Will keep in fridge a week and freezer for 2 months.
12. You can use this to fill cupcakes or to layer between cakes.
Good things come in little packages….little packages filled with coconut curd!
Coconut Cake Recipe:
Makes 24 cupcakes, 48 mini cupcakes, or 24 mini bundts.
(1) Preheat oven to 350.
(2) Combine coconut milk and whole milk.
(3) Sift flour and baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
(4) Beat butter until soft, about 2 minutes.
(5) Slowly add the sugar. Mix for about 2 minutes.
(6) After you’ve cracked eggs into a separate bowl to ensure no shells, add eggs into the mixer one egg at a time.
(7) Add vanilla and coconut extract.
(8) Beginning and ending with the flour, mix flour into the wet mixture, alternating with milk mixture. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl.
(9) Spray cake pans with a baking spray with flour (or grease and flour the cake pans).
(10) This recipe yields 24 mini bundt cakes, about 16 cupcakes, or two 9”inch layer cakes.
a. For cupcakes and mini bundt cakes, bake time is approximately 20 minutes. Insert a toothpick/cake tester into the center of cake to test doneness. When tester emerges clean, cakes are done.
b. Layer cakes will take approximately 28 minutes.
(11) When cakes are done, remove from oven. Let cool in pan for 3-5 minutes, then invert on a cooling rack. Let cool completely before cakes are frosted, glazed, or filled.
Buttercream Recipe: 2 Cups of Powdered Sugar, 4 ounces (1 stick) butter, 1-2 tbsp milk, 1 tsp coconut extract. Simply place butter in the mixer and slowly add the powdered sugar. To thin the mixture to a “spreading” consistency, add the extract, then the milk. The warmer your butter was when you began, the less milk you’ll need to make the frosting “spreadable”.
Filling cupcakes with Curd:
Finishing things Up:
Plain Coconut Topping: You can Frost the cake with your favorite vanilla buttercream recipe, then roll the cupcake in coconut.
Coconut Grass Topping: To die the coconut green to represent “grass”, place 1 cup of flaked coconut into a bowl, and add 4 drops of green food coloring. Stir up until green color is evenly distributed. Alternatively, you can place coconut and food coloring into a ziplock bag and shake until the “grass” is green. I like to place candy eggs on top so it looks like an easter egg hunt!