10 min. 15 min.
I’m in Atlanta getting ready to ring in the New Year.
Here In the South, we eat Black Eyed Peas with Bacon, Rice, and Cornbread to bring us luck and prosperity in the new year. Tomorrow I’ll share a recipe for a New Year’s “Hoppin John” with photos, but for now here’s your Shopping List.
Grab the ingredients today, and make this delicious dish tomorrow on New Years Day!
Shopping List for Hoppin John:
(1) One 1lb bag of dried black eyed peas
(2) 2 Cups of long grain white rice
(3) 1lb of bacon, uncooked
(4) One medium sized onion (diced)
(5) Salt and black pepper, about 2 tsp of each
(6) 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder (or 1 glove of garlic, finely
(7) 2 tsp cayenne pepper
Use your favorite recipe, or the one from the Kiss My Bundt Cookbook.
Essential Ingredients: Cornmeal, All Purpose Flour, Eggs, Buttermilk (whole milk works as well).