10 min. 15 min.
One of my all time favorite cakes is Carrot Cake. WIth a few exceptions: always with walnuts and never with raisins or pineapple. How do you like your carrot cake?
I call this a “healthier” carrot cake recipe for a few reasons. First, it reduces the quantity of white sugar and switches to raw sugar. Additionally, I not only reduced the quantity of oil, but swapped to grapeseed oil, which has more nutritional benefits than vegetable or canola oil. (read about it here) To continue a reduction in calories and fat, I reduced the amount of walnuts in the recipe. Lastly, I upped the quantity of carrots for more moisture and added sweetness, not to mention fiber.
Here’s a simple recipe that I love, and this has a little less sugar and fat then the recipe featured in my cookbook. And, the fact that you can make it in one bowl means it really can’t get much easier!
2 C unbleached all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp Cinnamon
2 tbsp water
1 1/3 C of raw (turbinado) sugar
1 C grapeseed oil* (or any oil you’d like)
4 large eggs
3 ½ C grated carrots
½ C of finely chopped walnuts (this helps ensure a little bit of walnut in every bit since we reduced the quantity by half)
Yield: Recipe makes 2 9”inch rounds, 1 10-cup Bundt, about 20 cupcakes or 24 mini bundt cupcakes, or 2 loaf pans..
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees.
2. Grease and flour your baking pan of choice. (you can use a baking spray with flour)
3. Mix oil, water, and sugar together in one bowl.
4. With a spoon, mix in one egg at a time.
5. Sift together cinnamon, flour, salt and baking soda. Slowly add to the egg mixture. Stir with a spoon until combined.
6. Add grated carrots. Stir. Note: Batter will be thick at first, but keep stirring.
7. Add walnuts, stir.
8. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cupcakes/Mini Bundt Cupcakes: Bake about 18-20 mins
- Layer Cakes: Bake about 25-30 minutes
- Loaf Cakes: Bake about 45 minutes.
9. Skip the frosting and eat warm.