Chop raw bacon into small pieces. Cook in dutch oven or deep sauté pan until crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and remove all but 2 tbsp of the bacon fat.
2. Over medium heat, add the chopped onions to the bacon fat and cook until browned, 5-7 minutes.
3. Add tomato paste and garlic to the onions. Stir and cook 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the crushed tomatoes, sugar, salt, and red pepper flakes into the onions.
5. Get this sauce DRUNK! Add vodka, stirring until combined. Simmer the sauce for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Reduce heat to low and stir in heavy cream.
7. Into a large pot of salted water, add penne pasta and cook until the paste is al dente, about 10 minutes. *you can boil the pasta while you make the sauce to save time.
8. Before draining the pasta, remove 1/3 cup of the pasta water to use later to thicken the sauce as needed. Set aside.
9. Strain the pasta from the water.
10. Add the bacon to the sauce. Stir to combine.
11. Stir the cooked pasta noodles into the sauce.
12. Add 3 tbsp of pasta water to the sauce.
13. Cook everything together for 2 more minutes, giving the sauce and the pasta time to get acquainted. *If the sauce is too thick to you, you can gradually add more pasta water, 1 tbsp at a time.
14. To Serve the Pasta: Pour into a serving dish, and top with the freshly chopped parsley and the Parmesan cheese.